Swimming For Beginners In The UAE – A Step By Step Guide
Swimming For Beginners - A Step By Step Guide To Get You Started
Swimming is an exceptional activity that not only offers a fantastic way to stay fit and healthy, but also provides a serene environment to relax and enjoy the soothing nature of water. However, it’s completely normal for beginners to feel a touch of apprehension or nervousness about taking their initial plunge into this new adventure.
If you’re someone who is just starting out in swimming or perhaps you’re a swimmer looking to refine and improve your skills, we have crafted this comprehensive step-by-step guide specifically for you. With the invaluable assistance of a seasoned swimming coach or a dedicated personal trainer based in Abu Dhabi, we are here to provide all the help you need.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the fundamental aspects of getting started with swimming. We will assist you in selecting the right gear that not only fits you perfectly but also enhances your performance in the water. Furthermore, we will help you master essential swimming techniques that are crucial for every swimmer, regardless of their level of expertise.
Our ultimate goal is to equip you with the confidence and knowledge needed to dive into the water without any hesitation. So, whether you’re dipping your toes into the world of swimming for the first time or aiming to perfect your strokes, this guide is your reliable companion on this exciting journey.
Table Of Contents
1.Gather Your Swim Gear
- Swimsuit: It’s crucial to choose a swimsuit that is comfortable and fits well. One-piece suits are a great option as they provide good coverage and work well for all body types.
- Swim Cap: A swim cap is not only a fashion statement but also serves a practical purpose. It helps keep your hair out of your face while swimming and minimises drag in the water. If you have long hair, a swim cap is especially helpful in keeping it under control.
- Goggles: Protecting your eyes is essential when swimming, and a quality pair of swim goggles can do just that. Consult with your swimming coach or personal trainer to find the right pair recommended for your specific needs. Goggles not only shield your eyes from chlorine but also help you see clearly underwater, improving your overall swimming experience.
- Swim Fins: While swim fins are optional, they can be beneficial for both beginners and experienced swimmers. Swim fins aid in propulsion, helping you move through the water more efficiently. However, it’s important to consult with your swimming coach or personal trainer to determine if swim fins are suitable for your training program.
2. Familiarise Yourself with Basic Water Safety
- Swim in Designated Areas: It’s always recommended to swim in areas that have designated swimming zones and lifeguards on duty. Especially if you’re new to swimming, these areas provide an added layer of safety and security.
- Never Swim In Open Areas Alone: Swimming is not only safer but also more enjoyable when you have a buddy with you. Having someone by your side can help in case of any emergencies or unexpected situations.
- Pay Attention to Warning Signs: Whether you’re at the beach or a pool, it’s crucial to pay attention to warning signs and flags. These indicators provide important information about potential hazards or unsafe conditions in the water.
- Learn How to Float and Tread Water: Knowing how to float and tread water is essential for staying afloat in case you experience exhaustion or muscle cramps. Your swimming coach or personal trainer can teach you these fundamental skills, ensuring your safety in the water.
3. Start Your Journey in Shallow Water
For those who are yet to find their comfort zone in deep water, it’s advisable to commence your swimming journey in a shallow part of the pool where your feet can effortlessly touch the bottom. This area serves as an ideal starting point, allowing you to gradually acclimate to the aquatic environment. Here, you can take your time to practice and perfect basic swimming movements.
4. Master the Art of Floating
5. Mastering the Fundamentals of Swimming
- Freestyle (Front Crawl): The freestyle stroke involves a continuous alternating movement of the arms and a flutter kick. It is the most commonly used stroke in competitive swimming and provides an excellent cardiovascular workout. To master this stroke, it is advisable to initially practice the arm and leg movements separately. Once you feel comfortable with each component, gradually combine them under the supervision of your swimming coach or personal trainer. They will be able to offer valuable feedback and correct any errors in your technique.
- Breaststroke: The breaststroke is characterised by its simultaneous arm and leg movements, with a glide phase in between. This stroke is often favoured by beginners because it allows them to keep their head above water throughout the entire stroke cycle. To perform the breaststroke correctly, it is crucial to receive detailed instructions from your swimming coach or personal trainer. They will teach you the proper technique, including how to coordinate your arm and leg movements effectively.
6. Mastering the Fundamentals of Breathing
7. Enrol in Professional Swimming Lessons
8. Build Endurance
9. Enhance Your Technique
10. Maintain Consistency and Find Joy
The Importance of Learning to Swim in the UAE with a Professional, Qualified Coach
Learning to Swim for Adults and Kids: Q&A
Find the best male or female swimming coach in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman or RAK.
Popular Training Categories
Weight Loss & Dieting
Pre & Post Natal
Online Personal Training
Articles & Training Tips Main Categories
- Body Toning & Body Sculpting (18)
- Boxing & Kickboxing (12)
- Childrens Health & Fitness (27)
- Diet, Nutrition & Weight Loss (63)
- Exercise Equipment & Kit (5)
- Exercise Techniques (34)
- General (49)
- Muscle, Strength & Bodybuilding (15)
- Pre & Post Natal Training (22)
- Senior Fitness In The UAE (21)
- Sports Fitness (42)
- Trainer Tips & Advice (1)
- Yoga & Pilates (22)