Here are some of the primary benefits of the Zumba® program:
- Great dynamic core workout. The Zumba program uses moves throughout the class that requires a great deal of control of the midsection of the body (abs and back), This has the potential to translate into a more defined torso (stronger abs and back).
- High caloric expenditure. Zumba follows aerobic and interval training methods to incorporate high levels of activity, which translates to high caloric expenditure.
Note: This varies from individual to individual, depending on variables, such as: fitness level, participant’s familiarity of routine, intensity level,etc.
- Easy, non-intimidating learning environment. New dance steps are presented in an easy-to-follow, exhilarating and party-like format.
- Weight loss. As with any exercise program, consistency and a sensible, well-balanced nutrition program will increase the likelihood of weight loss.
- Positive self-imag. Nurtures at high level of “feeling good.”
- Exercise in disguise. A Zumba class is a GREAT SWEAT! Most people say they are having a blast and do not even realize they are exercising.
Physiology and benefits of the Zumba program:
Zumba has been structured to incorporate all three of the categories: Cardio respiratory/Aerobic; Muscular Fitness; and flexibility.
1 – Cardio Respiratory Training
This impacts the cardiovascular system and respiratory system which is made up of the heart, lungs and blood vessels. In Addition it primarily utilizes the aerobic system for energy, meaning “with oxygen.” Therefore, some of the major benefits of Zumba for seniors in the UAE are:
- Strengthens the most important muscle in the body, the heart
- Improves resting heart rate
- Improves circulation
- Raises your metabolic rate
- Helps to regulate cholesterol levels
- Can help prevent heart disease.
2- Muscular Fitness
This is made up of two elements: muscular endurance and muscular strength. The benefits for seniors are:
- Builds muscular strength
- Increases bone density
- Improves posture
- Critical in the prevention of injuries.
3 – Flexibility
This aspect of Zumba refers to the ability to move your joints through full range of motion. Flexibility is an area where many seniors in Abu Dhabi and Dubai have problems, ultimately Zumba can really help. The benefits of flexibility for seniors are:
- Reduce risk of injury
- Greater movement around joints
- Better posture
- Less muscle tension and soreness
In addition, Zumba benefits seniors in the following ways:
1. Maintains a Healthy Heart as we age
Even if zumba is low-impact, it still gets the heart pumping. As you will be moving your whole body, every dance step helps in circulating your blood better through your body and increasing your heart rate. Therefore, Zumba is an excellent workout which aids in decreasing the risk of stroke and heart attack.
2. Improves Mobility
As you age, it is normal not to have your previous mobility anymore. Your posture,coordination and balance will be enhanced by participating in Zumba classes. Additionally, attending such classes routinely will increase your range of motion,stamina, flexibility, agility and energy.
Ultimately, over time, these workouts will aid in decreasing painful arthritis and sore joints.
3. Enhances your Cognitive Function
In your senior years, your skills to concentrate and pay attention can grow weaker. This is normal for everybody but performing any kind of exercise can aid in improving the flow of oxygen-rich blood that offers positive effects for elderly people’s cognitive function.
4. Allows you to Socialize
A Zumba class in Abu Dhabi is composed of a number of participants, this lets you meet and interact with different people, to make new friends.
5. Manage your Weight
The classes’ dance routines will help in burning off calories which in turn can help you manage your weight better. You’ll be amazed how just a couple of Zumba classes a week can help you stay on track of your weight.
6. Strengthen Bones and Muscles
Older people need to have strong bones and muscles. Practicing Zumba a couple of times a week can really help strengthen the bones and tone the muscles.
You make use of many muscles while doing the Zumba steps that in turn create stronger muscles throughout the body.